During the Colorado Wine Cocktail Celebration earlier this month, cocktail consultant Matty Durgin took a classic swizzle recipe, adding some Colorado wine in the form of Desert Moon Vineyard’s Ruby Port and made an all around interesting drink that seems destined for the holiday table.
Lord Nelson’s Swizzle
Glass: Collins Glass or Footed Pilsner
Garnish: Grated nutmug, orange zest
- 1.5 oz Desert Moon Vineyards 2008 Fireside Ruby Port
- 0.5 oz El Dorado 3 Year Demerara Rum
- 0.5 oz Fino Sherry
- 0.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime
- 0.75 oz Blood Orange Juice
- 0.25 oz Demerara Sugar
- 1 Barspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 2 Dashes Aztec Chocolate Bitters
Add ingredients to glass. Fill halfwith ice. Swizzle at length until healthy frost appears on outside of glass. Fill balance with ice. Garnish with Nutmeg, a Spoon Straw, and a large piece of Orange Zest.